Inwood

656 Fort Washington Avenue, Inwood, 1926

656 Fort Washington Avenue, Inwood, 1926

You don't see many homes like this in Manhattan anymore. When this photo was taken, on March 17, 1926, this Victorian-era home had already seen better days. The location now hosts a 6 storey apartment building across the street from tennis and basketball courts of a public school.

$35.00

Choose a print size

Amsterdam Avenue and West 207th Street, 1926

Amsterdam Avenue and West 207th Street, 1926

The streets are bustling in Inwood on this beautiful day in 1926.  Looking west toward Post Avenue and beyond, one can see the Corn Exchange Bank, several dance halls, a Chop Suey restaruant, and the Dyckman Theater.  The theater was a 1,700 seat movie palace that opened in 1913 and ultimately became part of the Loews chain.  This neighborhood is the northernmost in the island of Manhattan, and it is believed to be the location where Peter Minuit bought the island from the Lenape Indians.

$35.00

Choose a print size

Syndicate content