welfare island

New York Hospital and the East River, 1935

New York Hospital and the East River, 1935

This black and white photo, taken on May 19, 1935 from what was then Welfare Island, shows the East River and New York Hospital. Since then, both the island and the hospital have been renamed. Welfare Island was renamed Roosevelt Island after Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1973, and New York Hospital was renamed New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center in 1998 after merging with Columbia Presbyterian and receiving a substantial endowment from Sanford Weill. The East River retains its name.

$35.00

Choose a print size

Syndicate content