Broadway and West 38th Street, 1910

Broadway and West 38th Street, 1910
No votes yet

By the time of this photograph in 1910, this part of Broadway had become "Broadway," or the Great White Way. The heart of the theater district had been further downtown in the Nineteenth Century, but by the early Twentieth, it had moved closer to Times Square where it resides today. In this photograph, looking north from West 38th Street, one can see three famous theaters along the west side of the avenue, The Knickerbocker, the Casino, and Maxine Elliott's. The old Metropolitan Opera House can been seen on the east side of the avenue, at 39th Street, opposite Maxine Elliot's, and the old Times Tower, can be seen standing tall behind it.

Choose a print size