The Ladies of Bow Bridge, circa 1865

The Ladies of Bow Bridge, circa 1865
No votes yet

Two women pause to be photographed by scenic Bow Bridge in the mid-1860s. The lush foliage indicates that it was probably summer. The eight cast iron urns on the bridge had disappeared by the 1920s and were only recently replaced by replicas. In the far background is a large building, which may have been the Ladies Refreshment Pavilion, which in the 1929 became the Central Park Casino, a restaurant catering to New York City's well-heeled clientele. The Casino was created via a sweetheart-deal between Mayor Jimmy Walker and his friend Sidney Solomon. In 1935, Robert Moses had the Casino torn down, claiming its exclusivity was not appropriate for a public park. 

Choose a print size