Cherry Street and Rutgers Slip, c. 1890

Cherry Street and Rutgers Slip, c. 1890

A group of children play on a cart on Cherry Street in Lower Manhattan in the late 1800s. Children have a wonderful way of making fun where they find it and children of yesterday were no exception. It is a beautiful day in the city, and these children are forgoing one of the city's many playgrounds to make the most of this unattended cart.

$35.00

Choose a print size

Fifth Avenue and East 65th Street, c. 1902

Fifth Avenue and East 65th Street, 1902

Looking North along Fifth Avenue from just south of East 65th Street, we see two horse carts pass in front of 840 Fifth Avenue, the Astor Mansion.  Designed in 1893 by architect Richard Morris Hunt to be the twin residences of John Jacob Astor and his family and his mother, Caroline Astor. After the elder Mrs. Astor died in 1907, John Jacob had the house renovated into single residence, making it one of the largest mansions in Gilded Age New York.

$35.00

Choose a print size

Queen Elizabeth docking in New York, 1956

Queen Elizabeth docking in New York, 1956

In this photo, we see the RMS Queen Elizabeth docking in New York Harbor in 1956.  The Queen Elizabeth was an luxury ocean liner operated by the Cunard Line. Her career ran from her launch on September 27, 1938 until her retirement in 1969, when she was replaced by the Queen Elizabeth II.

$35.00

Choose a print size

Mason's Materials, East 14th Street, 1916

Mason's Materials, East 14th Street, 1916

This photo of the Murtha and Schmol Co. was taken on June 5, 1916. The company was located at 814 East 14th Street, mere steps from the East River, on the northern border of what is today Alphabet City. At this time, the neighborhood was in transition. Originally Little Germany, by the early 20th Century many of the Germans had relocated uptown to Yorkville, and the neighborhood was repopulated by other waves of immigrants, including Jews, Italians, and Irish.

$35.00

Choose a print size

East 14th Street and Fourth Avenue, 1916

East 14th Street and Fourth Avenue, 1916

In this black and white photo, taken in 1916, the photographer shoots west along the north side of E. 14th Street.  People stroll past the Hotel Rathskeller. A couple of newsies operate a newstand in front of the entrance to the subway. On the south side of the street, somewhat obscured by the subway kiosks are the Union Square Theater and Cafe Leo. It's somewhat difficult to see, but the ensignia of the Cafe Leo seems to be a C and L inscribed inside a Star of David.

$35.00

Choose a print size

Women Workers in Bush Terminal, Brooklyn, c. 1944

Women Workers in Bush Terminal, Brooklyn, c. 1944

Women freight-handlers at the docks of the Bush Terminal, Brooklyn. During World War II, male laborers places at the Brooklyn wharves were being filled by women. Here, instead of Rosie the Riveter, we have the "Longshoregirls." 

$35.00

Choose a print size

The Dakota Apartments, 1903

The Dakota Apartments, 1903

The Dakota Apartments at Central Park West and West 72nd Street is probably one of the most iconic buildings in New York City. Often remembered nowadays as the location of the murder of John Lennon by Mark David Chapman on December 8, 1980, the Dakota's place in New York history and in popular culture arises from more than that single tragic event. Aside from Lennon and his wife, Yoko Ono, the building's residents over the years have included many well-known New Yorkers, such as Lauren Bacall, Jason Robards, Jose Ferrer, Lillian Gish, Judy Garland, and Gilda Radner -- among others.

$35.00

Choose a print size

New York Hospital and the East River, 1935

New York Hospital and the East River, 1935

This black and white photo, taken on May 19, 1935 from what was then Welfare Island, shows the East River and New York Hospital. Since then, both the island and the hospital have been renamed. Welfare Island was renamed Roosevelt Island after Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1973, and New York Hospital was renamed New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center in 1998 after merging with Columbia Presbyterian and receiving a substantial endowment from Sanford Weill. The East River retains its name.

$35.00

Choose a print size

Ice Cream Seller Outside Jewish Daily News, c. 1895

Ice Cream Seller Outside Jewish Daily News, c. 1895

In this very grainy photo from before the turn of the Twentieth Century, we see a man selling ice cream outside of 185 East Broadway, the offices of the Jewish Daily News or Yiddishe Tageblatt. At the time of this photograph the Jewish Daily News had a circulation of 13,400, and published in both Yiddish and English. It was one of many Jewish newspapers published in New York City at this time. Across the street from the ice cream vendor, out of the frame of the photo, was a condemned property belonging to the Ludlow Street Jail.

$35.00

Choose a print size

Queensboro Bridge Construction Seen from Ravenswood, late 1907

Queensboro Bridge Construction Seen from Ravenswood, late 1907

Ravenswood, Queens, started as a tony hamlet in the middle of the 19th Century, but by the time of this photograph it had been absorbed into Long Island City. In this photograph, looking west, one can see the ongoing construction of the Queensboro Bridge. It looks as if the Blackwell's Island span was complete and what remains is to connect to the spans on Manhattan and Long Island. The bridge, originally named the Blackwell's Island Bridge, would open to the public on June 12, 1909, not too long after this photo was taken.

$35.00

Choose a print size

Syndicate content